Thursday, July 25, 2013

A New Day

This is a photo my son took of me in Poipu, Kauai.  I had run right along this area earlier in the day and saw a group of sea turtles surfing the waves.

Yesterday was a PMSy type day.  I don't even know if it was PMS or I was just feeling fat, lazy and lacking in motivation.  I felt moody all day until honestly about 7 pm after I had a glass of wine.  I ate horribly (at least for me).  I had my typical smoothie for breakfast but then had a Lara Bar (200 calories) and then a vegan Trader Joes raspberry muffin (300 calories) all before lunch.  I had a sandwich with avo, tomato and hummus for lunch and A LOT of crinkled potato chips.  And then pizza for dinner -home made though with vegan cheese and lots of veggies.  I just felt so bloated and nothing was satisfying me until that glass and half of Pinot Grigio. I was planning on running in the morning before work but since I had to go see my postop patient in the hospital before the office I had to get up at 0630 to run and I just couldn't do it.  So bad day eating and no run and I wasn't a happy camper.

Today, on the other hand, is so much better.  First I started my day with a 5 mile run in the neighborhood including a fairly long, fairly steep hill. I felt good on the run and had no problem with running the whole way though I did run it at my more comfortable speed.  It is amazing how running only a bit faster (say 20-30 seconds per mile more) can make it so much more challenging.  For some strange reason I had a stomach ache this morning which was the only issue on the run.  Hmmmm maybe something to do with what I ate yesterday... 

Oh and last night I finally did my exercises again.  I made a promise to myself about a week ago that I would do either my ITB (iliotibial band) knee exercises or my core routine every night and well last night was the first time I actually did them.  I got the two routines from Jason Fitzgerald at strengthrunning.com.  I think they are super helpful but I just can't get in the habit of doing them.  In fact, I know from my reading on running, that I need to be doing more strength/core exercises to help with my speed and most of all to help prevent injury. 

My run today:
Finished Run: Jul 25, 2013, 7:58:06 AM
Route: New Route
Run Link:
http://runmeter.com/423448324b5fff63/Run-20130725-0703?r=e
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/423448324b5fff63/Runmeter-Run-20130725-0703.kml
Run Time: 54:51
Stopped Time:
0:00Distance: 5.04 miles
Average: 10:53 /mile
Fastest Pace: 8:43 /mile
Ascent: 751 feet
Calories: 574
http://www.runmeter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment