Thursday, July 18, 2013

First Post on this running blog

So this is the picture of me after my first 1/2 marathon.  It was March 2012 and I ran it with a friend whom I had not trained with nor even ever run with but it worked out pretty darn well.  I'm on a journey to a marathon as you can see by the title of my blog.  I'm not exactly a newbie runner but then again I am not exactly an experienced runner either.  I've run off and on (mostly off) ever since I was a teenager.  I remember once running about 1/2 mile and some guys passing me and telling me I made them look good (I was running very slowly).  I still run kind of slow but whatever.  My running has definitely kicked up a notch in the last two years.  My first half marathon was the San Diego Half Marathon which was an inaugural Marathon.  It started and ended at PetCo Park and ran through downtown San Diego, over to Point Loma NTC and then back by Balboa Park to PetCo.  There was one pretty good hill but the rest was flat.  I had a blast as you can see by the smile on my face above.  I was pretty much hooked to running then but damn if some injuries didn't slow me down soon after this race.

My right knee is my nemesis.  It likes to hurt after long distances.  I am still working on it.  I did physical therapy, saw an orthopod (who was great and encouraging to keep running) and still try try to remember to do exercises for the knee.

Now I've done a total of three Halfs.  The second was fun because it was laid back and straight and easy.  My PR was at that one at Silver Strand running from Coronado to Imperial Beach.  We camped in our RV the night before and after which made it even more fun.  My PR was 2 hours and 19 minutes, yeah not fast but in the middle of the pack and that is okay.  That was in November 2012 and then in January 2013 I ran the Tinkerbell Half at Disneyland.  That was a blast too for totally different reasons.  Expensive and crowded but worth it.  It was really cool to run through the park in the dark at 5am with no one but runners and Disney Characters cheering you on.  Unfortunately my right knee started to absolutely kill me at about mile 11 1/2 so the last bit was tough.  So, I took a rest after that and now am planning on another Half in November 2013 (sherun on trails in Escondido) and Carlsbad Half January 2014, probably one more in March or April and then hopefully a full Marathon December 2014 in Sacramento.  So, that's the plan.  We'll see how it goes.  

This will mostly be a log of my runs.  So, maybe boring for most and probably I will be the only one reading it .  

Today  I ran a great run ,they usually are great, but this one was particularly great.  Because I conquered a hill I have been nervous about.  I did Torrey Pines.  I started out parking on the street outside of the parking lot off of Carmel Valley road.  I rad through the parking lot, over the bridge along highway 1, into Torrey Pines park, up the grueling hill (didn't stop the whole way!!! but I was slow!!), through Guy Fleming trail (2/3) mile, up the hill some more, through another bit of trail and then slightly up past the golf course almost to UCSD which was mile 4.  I then turned around and ran back but skipped a bit of trail though I did do Guy Fleming again (it is beautiful, right on the cliff looking out north to Del Mar and south to La Jolla beaches) and then back to the car.  It was a total of 7.5 miles.  It was very slow but so satisfying to do the hill.  My right knee hurt a little after.  I iced it and had a chocolate power smoothie with lots of superfoods in it.  I'll post that recipe sometime.  It is good and I think really healing and good for you.  So that was my run for today.  I am going to try to post the stats for my own record and some photos. 

Oh I also am in new shoes.  I just got them, this was my second run in them.  I have been running in Brooks Glycerins.  But now I am in Asics Nimbus 15.  They felt good though I did get one small blister on my left big toe.  And on a different run with them I felt like my feet were a bit numb.  So still thinking about them....


Finished Run: Jul 18, 2013, 11:27:16 AM
Route: New Route
Run Link: http://runmeter.com/423448324b5fff63/Run-20130718-0948?r=e
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/423448324b5fff63/Runmeter-Run-20130718-0948.kml
Run Time: 1:36:44
Stopped Time: 1:40
Distance: 7.58 miles
Average: 12:45 /mile
Fastest Pace: 9:47 /mile
Ascent: 636 feet
Calories: 761

http://www.runmeter.com

New Shoes

Today's run at Torrey Pines

No comments:

Post a Comment