Monday, July 22, 2013

Short and quick

My friends from High School (and two of their kids)

This morning my run was short and quick. I was meeting my pals of 40 years or so for breakfast so I just had about 30 minutes to run.  I ran to Albertsons and back and probably ran about a 9 minute mile which is faster than normal. My heart was pounding and I had to stop briefly to catch my breath.  The experts say it is important to run faster than usual once or twice a week.  The only way to learn to run faster is to actually run faster.  But it is hard!  

Friday night I went to my high school 30 year reunion.  It was great to see my girl friends but sort of strange to see people I never knew well then and not at all now.  Relating to running I did have one conversation where a friend's husband spoke about his run that morning in which he ran a 7 minute mile for 6 or 8 miles or something.   I am so slow!!!   I felt like less of a runner.  But such is life.  There will always be faster but also slower people and hey I am out there, ya.   

Here is the chocolate smoothies recipe I like.  The extra stuff I add is at the bottom.  

This is a smoothie recipe from Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet book.
Number of Servings: 2

Ingredients

    1 banana
    2 fresh or soaked dry dates
    2 cups cold water (or 1 cup plus 1 cup ice)
    1/4 cup almonds (or 2 T almond butter)
    localoffersIcon 

    1 T ground flaxseed
    1 T hemp protein
    1 T roasted carob powser

    extras: (included in calorie count)
    1 1/2 t acai powder
    1 t chlorella powder
    1 t maca powder

Directions

Combine everything in a blender and let 'er rip! Best very cold.

2 servings

Number of Servings: 2

And I add 1T Mesquite Powder
1T cocoa nibs
1T chia seeds
1 large leaf kale or a handful of Spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment