Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The boy home alone


Aiden learning how to do a back dive


I ran early this morning.  Kelly had left to visit friends in Pasadena and tinker with motorcycles.  I had the day off from work so it was just me and Aiden today.  I left a note where he would see it saying "gone running, be home soon" with his cell phone I bought just for this purpose.  He is 9 years old and I am only comfortable leaving him home alone for a short time.  I warned him the night before I would be out running in the morning and hopefully be back before he even woke up.  I locked all the doors, reassured myself the dog  and the million warnings of "do not open the door" would protect him and rushed off for a short run.  Do you think it is okay to leave a 9 year old home for 30-45 minutes?  I have my cell phone with me at all times and we have practiced having him call me.  But I am still nervous.  Of course, not nervous enough to prevent me from running.  

Last night when I went to sleep my right knee was aching a bit.  I am super nervous about this because I injured it after my first half marathon from an over use injury and I had to take off 6 weeks from running and start back super slowly.  I had physical therapy and doctor visits.  Eventually with rest and exercises it got better but I really don't want it to happen again.  In fact, my right knee feels like my biggest impediment to fulfilling my goal of completing a full marathon.  I think though it might have just been aching from doing some squats I did yesterday.  It felt great on my run this morning.  I ran 3 miles around the neighborhood and then did 4 sets of 30 second strides at the park on the grass.  And when I got home,after vacuuming a ton of dog hair from the carpet and furniture, I also did my core exercise routine.  Next was Aiden's diving class and then piano and shopping etc etc.  My days off are never really "off".  Now at 7pm I finally think I can sit down and relax.  No wine though as Kelly and I are still on our cleanse.  I'll let you know more how that is going soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment