Thursday, August 8, 2013

What does a runner look like?

A few months back at a meeting with all the doctors at Kaiser San Diego the Physician of the Year was announced.  (spoiler alert it wasn't me)  The presenter of the award spoke of this doctor's many achievements including third world travel to do surgery.  And then he continued on speaking about her athletic accomplishments. She had run a marathon and also recently completed an Ironman Triathlon.  As the presenter spoke about her she was still sitting out in the crowd and I didn't know who she was.  In my mind I imagined her though.  She was tall and lean and had really long legs.  She, in my mind, looked nothing like me.  But then she came up to accept the award and she was shorter then me and not particularly skinny (although I am sure she has a lot of muscle and very little fat) and her legs were just a regular length.  It was inspiring.  I thought if she can do it so can I.  So, we'll see.



We started week 2 of our cleanse today.  We get to add back fish, beans and tofu to our diet of veggies, fruit, nuts, oils and spices. Kelly made the best dinner tonight.  Here are two pictures of it. Above is my vegan version with tofu.  The tofu was marinated and was delicious.  Below is his Salmon version which I am sure was excellent too.  I am so lucky to be married to a wonderful cook.  He even cleaned up tonight!!


Here is the recipe from Whole Living Cleanse 2012 Week 2 Dinner

Ingredients


  • 1 navel orange, peeled and segmented
  • 1/2 avocado, diced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
  • 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • Coarse salt and pepper
  • 2 (4-ounce) fillets wild salmon
  • 3 heads bok choy, halved
  • Olive oil, for drizzling

Directions

  1. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine orange segments, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
  2. Season salmon and bok choy with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
  3. Grill salmon, flipping halfway through, until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Grill bok choy until bright green and slightly wilted, about 1 minute per side. Spoon avocado salsa over fish to serve.

    For the Tofu he pressed it first and then marinated it for a couple hours in Rice Wine Vinegar, garlic, Braggs Aminos, Toasted Sesame Oil, Asian Chili Sauce, Salt and Agave.  And then grilled in a pan and served with the above avocado salsa.


    I did get a run in this morning, by the way.  I ran about 2.5 miles in the hood before work.  I didn't run far but I ran up a very steep hill twice.   I need to get a long run in this weekend.  I am planning on doing Lake Miramar twice which will be 10 miles.  I am hoping to run a pace of 10 minute 30 seconds which would beat by just a few minutes my PR for my half at the Silver Strand which was 2 hours 19 minutes.  I would love to get under the 10 minute mile for long distance some day.  I am hoping that the strides, hills and strengthening exercises along with running more mileage will get me there along with getting me to the marathon down the road.  I am off work tomorrow so the weekend has started.  If only I could have a glass of wine.  That is week 4...

     

No comments:

Post a Comment