Sunday, August 18, 2013

Silver Strand Runs


Kelly and I relaxing

I ran 3 out of the 4 days of our camping trip at Silver Strand, Coronado beach.  The first morning I did the 8 mile run which was smart because I felt just a little less inclined to run as the days went by.  The relaxation of the beach life was happily getting to me.  I rested on day 2 and then ran Saturday and Sunday mornings, 5 miles and 4 miles respectively.  On Saturday I ran with a friend, Shayna.  She has two young kids: an almost 3 year old and and almost one year old.  They came with us in the double stroller.  This worked well the first 2.5 miles but then the older one started to complain (though she was pretty easy to placate) and then the baby started crying and basically continued until we finished.  It wasn't a big deal. As the kids cried Shayna sped up and so I sped up and we ran the second half of the run a full minute per mile faster than the start.  God bless her with two little kids.  I am so glad to have a 9 year old that easily entertains himself much of the time. 

Shayna, my running partner and her son and her sweet dog, Pearl

I ate way too much on vacation like usual.  The problem (or not) with camping and RVing is the most social time is usually happy hour and that entails drinks and appetizers.  It's those appetizers that get me.  It's not a huge deal to eat more on vacation but I tend to get stomach aches easily and this was no exception.  Though it wasn't as bad as in Hawaii when I went crazy with food the first few days and ended up in agony with cramps and vomiting all day on the 4th of July.  Not my favorite way to spend our Independence Day or any day for that matter.  Anyway, this time I just ended up waking up at 4 am with a stomach ache and then feeling a bit off all weekend.   I want to be able to have the carrot cake and ice cream when the desires strikes without paying for it later.  But more than that I want to eat vegan and healthy the vast majority of the time. But, it seems like the more I do that the less able my body tolerates the times I don't. So, should I eat worse more often so I can tolerate it when I splurge or just finally learn to not splurge? 

 Aiden learning to surf

I didn't do enough strength building this week.  I will make sure to do it next week. 
Finished Run: Aug 17, 2013, 8:59:26 AM
Route: New Route
Run Link: http://runmeter.com/423448324b5fff63/Run-20130817-0806?r=e
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/423448324b5fff63/Runmeter-Run-20130817-0806.kml
Run Time: 51:33
Stopped Time: 1:00
Distance: 5.10 miles
Average: 10:06/mile
Fastest Pace: 8:32/mile
Ascent: 98 feet
Calories: 520

Finished Run: Aug 18, 2013, 8:52:27 AM
Route: Silver Strand North
Run Link: http://runmeter.com/423448324b5fff63/Run-20130818-0810?r=e
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/423448324b5fff63/Runmeter-Run-20130818-0810.kml
Run Time: 41:50
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 4.05 miles
Average: 10:20/mile
Fastest Pace:8:44/mile
Ahead of Best Run: 50:04
Ascent: 190 feet
Calories: 426

http://www.runmeter.com

2 comments:

  1. I can't eat junk anymore either. it totally efffects me and my stomach. When I ran marathons I did 10 miles every day for a year. You really don't need to do that 18 miler before the marathon because once you get to 10 the excitement of the marathon gets you through the rest.
    I would often get sick when I did many long runs just becasue it depletes yout body so much. If you can do 10 several times you'll be ready.
    Good for you.
    That's a closed chapter in my life now....4 is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 4 is awesome. I hope to complete one and then we'll see. Another friend that did a marathon also commented on how when she was training and did more than 14 miles she would be wiped all day and couldn't participate well in the family. The training is so all encompassing that I can't imagine doing it more than once. But first I just have to get to the once.

    ReplyDelete