Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Marathon Plans


My New Piano

I've been thinking a lot about the marathon lately.  Even though the half was hard I feel even more inspired to pursue the full marathon.  In fact, I am wanting to start training for it soon and not wait until 2015.  So, I have been looking at the different options.  One that interests me is the Avenue of Giants Marathon in the Redwoods up by Eureka California.  It is absolutely beautiful there.  The only issue is it doesn't have a lot of spectators and not a lot of different sights except for the amazing trees.  There are a lot of reviews of the race online.  Some absolutely love it and others mention the lack of people and some poor organization.  It is in May which I like as this gives me time to prepare but also the chance to get started on the training soon.  Also if I get it done in May I can relax over the summer.  Plus I was thinking of being a little more involved at Church next year (I'd like to be a worship associate-the one who leads service) and this would give me more time.  If I wait to do the race next winter than the fall is shot as far as taking on any more activities.  

We are getting solar power put on our roof!

But... I really like spectators.  Their cheering helps keep me running and I think with 26.2 miles I am really going to need it.  Ok, so there is the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon on June 2nd.  Good spectators, sights, music, support services.  But a lot of the reviews mention a nasty hill at mile 21!  Omg, that doesn't sound good.  Chicago marathon is in October, it is supposed to be great, especially for first timers,  but that is pretty far and expensive.  Marine Corps marathon is also in October in Washington DC.  Pretty cool.  But again, there is the expense and I would still have to wait until October.  And waiting until then would wipe out any significant travel in the summer or fall unless it is to the race itself.  I was sort of considering going to Europe with the family in the fall too.  

Max

Well, the Avenue of the Giants is starting to look better.  Plus there is this amazing sounding eco-vegan-resort in Mendocino that we could go to after.  And if we did that perhaps it would just be Kelly and me which would be nice.  On the other hand I love having the whole family there to support my run. But then the resort would be kind of expensive for a family of 4. (or 3 if Kaylie has school which she might and Aiden would too of course.)  Oh my.  I just can't figure this one out.  I guess I will give it some more time and see what unfolds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment